Sunday, March 31, 2013

Are You Made Up?

   No, no, if you're reading this we know you're real.  Don't you?  But are you wearing your makeup?  In the 21st century, it's a unisex question.  Following the lead of politicians and movie stars, plenty of hometown males are slathering on a bit of "BB" cream or eye liner before they hit the streets.  Why?  To look better; to feel better, of course.  My friend, a preppy New Englander, called cosmetics "armor for New York City," imputing to them a magical, protective function as well.
   The bare truth: the basic intent of makeup application can be classified as either decorative or remedial.  Product names clearly identify the intent of the purchaser.  Decorative:  Luscious Lashes, Scandal Blusher, Scintillating Shadow, Kiss-Me Lip gloss.  Remedial:  Age-defying Makeup, A Touch of Grey Hair Coloring, Young-again Lashes, Dark-shadow Eraser.  The demographics are spliced precisely on the age line.
   I remember the good old days when a quick swipe of blusher and lip gloss guided by my reflection in the bathroom mirror was my entire routine.  These days, I set up the magnifying mirror, gather my tools and utensils including, water, q-tips, tissues and brushes, retrieve my basket of age-defying emoluments and have at it -- for at least half an hour. In those early days, a brief moment of self-approval followed making-up.  These days, I wonder:  when can a woman call it quits?  When she retires?  When she turn 65...70?  When can she say, "This is it folks, I have wrinkles, I have sags, I have shadows, I have grey.  Live with it.  I do."

No comments:

Post a Comment